Thursday, April 16, 2015

“A Book Set in the Future” 2015 Challenge; THE SCORCH TRIALS by James Dashner

It’s The Maze Runner sequel!! This is going to be shucking amazing!  We’ll finally get to learn what the shuck is happening to them, and who the shuck is behind everything!  Can’t wait… Can’t wait…
 
Yeah, that was wishful thinking, but hey, I got to witness how an author can cuss like a shucking sailor in a young adult book.  That was a little entertaining.  Not only that… It’s based in a time around 2020 after the world was riddled with sun flares and a dilapidating disease that makes people go crazy.  In other words, it’s perfect for the “A book set in the future” section of my 2015 reading challenge.

 
THE SCORCH TRIALS by James Dashner
Book 2 of The Maze Runner Series
 


BOOK DESCRIPTION

 
Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end.

Thomas was sure that escape from the Maze would mean freedom for him and the Gladers. But WICKED isn’t done yet. Phase Two has just begun. The Scorch.

There are no rules. There is no help. You either make it or you die.

The Gladers have two weeks to cross through the Scorch—the most burned-out section of the world. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.

Friendships will be tested. Loyalties will be broken. All bets are off.

There are others now. Their survival depends on the Gladers’ destruction—and they’re determined to survive.


 

 
MY REVIEW

3 out of 5 *Stars*

 

“Rose took my nose, I suppose.  And it really blows.”
HeHe…
 
Alright, I’m just going to go and say it.  I am so confused.  I know that’s probably meant to be the point, but you would think something would be cleared up by now.  Nope!  Not only that, I’m more confused than when I started reading this book.  There’s more questions than answers.  You think it would make the next book more appealing to read.  Not in this case.  I’m worried that there will be even more questions at the end of that one too.  Talk about a brain overload.  Reading is supposed to be enjoyable and sometimes relaxing.  I get that every story needs plot twists and a few holes to keep the reader guessing, but with this one, I can’t get lost in the story, because there are TOO MANY variables to figure out.
 
It took me reading almost half this book to get into it.  I know why too.  To quote my “Maze Runner” review, There’s nothing like being taken into a whole new world, whether it be futuristic, a different plane, or even the center of the earth where no one has ever or will ever see.  There’s only one downfall to these types of books.  Since the reader is being introduced into something they’ve never personally seen, a lot of time is spent describing aspects of the story, that sometimes the plot can get put on the backburner.  That was the case with this book.”  Once again… same problem. 
 
The place the boys were put was a desert of sorts.  “Scorch”ing heat, barren wastelands, no water, no food… and in only two weeks they have to travel a hundred miles on foot to their safe haven.  Why you ask… Yeah, still not clear on that yet, but the words “patterns” and “killzone” were repeated constantly.  Then there was what was going on with Teresa that has me completely out in left field.  Whenever something happened with her, I would ask, “Why?  Now what does THAT have to do with anything?”
 
Here’s my overall… Do I recommend this book?  That’s a tricky one, since there is no way it could stand alone, the real question is, do I recommend the series?  Kind of.  For its faults and many plot holes, I do have to admit that it’s an interesting concept.  Am I going to read the next book?  Yes, but I’m not in any big rush to get to it.  It will be one of those books that I read when I hear that the movie’s coming out soon.  Speaking of movies…  The Scorch Trials comes to the big screen September 18th, 2015.  You better believe I’ll see it, and of course I’ll tell you what I think.  Hopefully it will be as good as the first.  We can only wait and see.  Till next time… 
 
 
18 books down, 34 to go!!
Happy Reading, Everyone!
   

 


No comments:

Post a Comment