Saturday, April 25, 2015

“A Book with more than 500 Pages” 2015 Challenge; ALLEGIANT by Veronica Roth


This book was a no brainer.  It was going to be read and going to be involved in this challenge.  First came Divergent, then Insurgent (which was fantastic), so of course it had to be read.  What category to put it in though? Originally, it was going to be for the section “Book with a One Word Title”, but as I’m reading I see that it is 526 pages.  Jackpot!  I still needed one over 500 pages, and this book was perfect.

ALLEGIANT by Veronica Roth
Book 3 in the Divergent Trilogy

 

BOOK DESCRIPTION

 

The faction based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered – fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal.  So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready.  Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.
 
But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind.  Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless.  Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves.  And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature – and of herself – while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.
 
Told from a riveting dual perspective, ALLEGIANT, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the DIVERGENT series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in DIVERGENT and INSURGENT.
 

 

MY REVIEW

3 out of 5 *Stars*

 

To be able to give a proper review of this book, I had to do it in two parts.  The book brought forth such strong emotions that I want you to read what I thought right after I finished it.  Then after that, is my actual review, once I had time to think it over properly.
 
The day I finished the book…
 
What in the ever-loving HELL!!  How can you even end a series like that?  Not just a book, but a SERIES!! That means that there is no fixing the epic screw up that was the end of this book.  I want to cry!  I want to scream!  I want to blow the f@%king book up so I can pretend that it doesn’t exist. 


 
The worst part… I’m doing my best to keep this a spoiler free review, so I can’t even discuss what’s made me so irate.  The Allegiant book that I got from the library has a broken spine, and I bet I know what happened to it.  Someone got to the end, and the book got up-close and personal... with a wall.  Ugh!  This sucks!
 
The next day…
 
Still mad!
 
Another day later…
 
Ok, yeah, so I’ve cooled down.  I still can’t stand how the book ended, but I’m thinking rationally enough to give an objective review. 
 
Once I read Insurgent, I wanted to jump right in to this book.  The last book kept me captivated throughout the whole thing, so I was a little disappointed when this one started off so slow.  I get it, I do.  Allegiant involves a whole new place and community, so therefore it has to take some time getting the reader engrossed in the story.
 
Then there was the double POV.  Yes!  We finally get to see what is going on inside that gorgeous head of Four, or Tobias as he prefers to be called.  Too bad it wasn’t too much different than Tris’.  There were so many times I forgot whose POV I was reading and I had to readjust my thinking when I found out I was picturing the wrong person.  It made the story somewhat jumbled.  As it turns out, they are the perfect couple because the exact same insecurities, likes, and feelings go through both of their heads. 
 
Now, on to the story.  As I mentioned before, it started off slow, but a little before it reached the halfway point, I was hooked.  I couldn’t stop flipping the pages, and ended up reading a little under 300 pages in half a day.  I got nothing done around the house.  Of course it was kind of fun telling my husband that I was doing research for my blog instead of the dishes.  HeHe! 
 
Anyways, the concept was completely different from the first two books.  Everyone is thrust into a world full of discrimination that judges people based solely on their genetics.  Completely out in left field, but not necessarily because it ties into everything you had read in the previous books.  Then there was the practically tangible love between Tris and Tobias.  It was great being intertwined with them, so you could feel everything they were going through.  I loved it.  It was a phenomenal story line, up until “the part”.  I could barely finish it afterward.  Roth did an okay job of trying to smooth over what happened and wrap up the entire story, but to me it was already ruined.
 
Every book has to have a bigger meaning or purpose, and this one couldn’t have put its any better…
 
“Sometimes life really sucks,” she says. “But you know what I’m holding on for?”
“The moments that don’t suck.  The trick is to know them when they come around.”
 
Never quite seen it put like that before, but I guess it can be true if you think about it. 
 
I don’t know.  This was one of my favorite book series.  The books were being made into movies, and everything seemed right with the literary world.  I would have recommended it to anyone.  Now, I’m gonna have to take it all back.  It was a good series, the love story was solid, the action was there, but then you get to the last pages of the LAST book and you get a stomach full of disappointment.  I’m sorry for being so vague, but I don’t want to “spoil” the ending for anyone that has yet to read it. 
 
If you HAVE read it, comment below to let me know if I’m alone in said opinion. Till next time…
 
 
19 books down, 33 to go!!
Happy Reading, Everyone!                  


No comments:

Post a Comment