Sunday, February 23, 2014

THE FIERY HEART by Richelle Mead (YA)

Book 4 of The Bloodlines Series
** Do NOT read if you haven't read books 1-3, and plan on doing so. **

(Mini reviews for the first 3 books in the series at the end of the main review.)

 
 
BOOK DESCRIPTION
 
Sydney Sage is an Alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of humans and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives.

In The Indigo Spell, Sydney was torn between the Alchemist way of life and what her heart and gut were telling her to do. And in one breathtaking moment that Richelle Mead fans will never forget, she made a decision that shocked even her. . . .

But the struggle isn't over for Sydney. As she navigates the aftermath of her life-changing decision, she still finds herself pulled in too many directions at once. Her sister Zoe has arrived, and while Sydney longs to grow closer to her, there's still so much she must keep secret. Working with Marcus has changed the way she views the Alchemists, and Sydney must tread a careful path as she harnesses her profound magical ability to undermine the way of life she was raised to defend. Consumed by passion and vengeance, Sydney struggles to keep her secret life under wraps as the threat of exposure — and re-education — looms larger than ever.

Pulses will race throughout this smoldering fourth installment in the New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series, where no secret is safe.
 
 
 
MY REVIEW
 
5 out of 5 *Stars*
 

I have had this book sitting on my shelf for almost 3 months, and finally picked it up because it was due back at the library soon.  I don’t normally read YA novels, but I had started the series and it’s hard for me to let things go.  I am kicking myself for waiting that long.  Now, I am writing this review with blurry eyes, because I stayed up till 4am reading.  I couldn’t put it down.  It’s going to be hard to express how much I loved this book, but I’m still going to try.
First of all, the novel is written from both Sydney and Adrian’s point of view.  Leaving book 3, The Indigo Spell, we knew that they were going to be a couple (Sydrain), so this just enhanced the feel of the book even more.  I am a sucker for a good romance, and even though this was not technically a romance, it had more heart and love than some of the romance novels that I have read.  I wanted to reach inside and hug both of them because they were so perfect for each other.  I wanted to laugh, cry, scream, and smile with them.

‘Yet their hands shall not tremble, their feet shall not falter.’
“Everything’s going to be okay.  The center will hold.”
“How do you know?”
“Because we are the center.”
**Heart Melting**
The Fiery Heart had all the same characters that we have come to know and love, Eddie, Trey, Jill, Angeline, and of course Adrian and Sydney.  Plus, we also got a special treat, and got to read scenes that included a little bit of Rose, Dimitri, Lissa, and Christian.  New romances blossomed, and the same characteristics of them that we have found endearing are still there.  There was drama, suspense, looove, and action.  When I stopped reading at 4 am, it had gotten so good and my heart felt like it would burst from my chest, but I knew my husband would give me a hard time if he came out in the morning and I was still reading.  Therefore, I went to bed thinking that I had about two chapters left.  To my dismay, the next morning I found that I only had one VERY SHORT chapter left.  I was crushed.  I wanted it to go on and on, possibly forever. lol  Now I’m waiting for the next book.  Ugh!  I HATE waiting.  Oh well, I guess that’s how it goes. 
Centrum Permanebit…
__________________________
Bloodlines (Book 1)
4 out of 5 *Stars*
It was no VA book, but it was a good start to a new series.  Vampire Academy is a hard series to follow behind, but I think this has potential to hold its own.  I love how Sydney is thrown into a world that is WAY out of her comfort zone.  It has so much conflict that you don’t know if everything will work out in the end.  The backstory with Keith and a glimpse into the world of an Alchemist gave a deeper look into what made Sydney the way she is.  Looking forward to the next book and hoping for a new and intriguing series.


The Golden Lily (Book 2) 
4 out of 5 *Stars*
This was a good book that left me wanting more.  You got a more in-depth look into the Alchemist world and learned a lot about re-education; something that would terrify anyone that was starting to waver in their stronghold beliefs.  Everyone and their personalities are starting to grow on me, except Jill.  She drove me a little crazy.  I found myself wanting her to act more grown up and responsible, but then I kept reminding myself that she was supposed to be a younger teenager.  It is a YA series after all.  Overall, it was still entertaining and I’m once again looking forward to the next book.
 
The Indigo Spell (Book 3)
3 out of 5 *Stars*


Honestly, I don’t remember much from this book.  It was pretty forgettable.  With a good set-up plot, I thought it would have had more action, but I was disappointed.  Luckily, the chemistry between Adrian and Sydney increased, but without a more in-depth story, it got a little dull. 
Great line that was, oh so typical, Adrian:  
"Do you want me to call you Celery Stick instead of Cupcake or Honey-Pie? It just doesn’t inspire the same warm and fuzzy feelings.”
Plus, I LOVED Hopper.  Who wouldn’t want a mini dragon of their own?
 
 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment