Saturday, November 5, 2016

AWAKEN, MY LOVE by Robin Schone


I recently found out that not all is lost if your library doesn’t have a book.  They will just borrow it from another library!  I know I’m probably one of the last to know this, but I’m in amazement right now.  It was so easy, and my reach for free literature just got a whole lot wider.  This was the first book I got this way, and boy am I glad that I did.


AWAKEN, MY LOVE by Robin Schone



BOOK DESCRIPTION

When thirty-nine-year-old Elaine Metcliffe awakens one morning, she is astounded to find herself in a strange bed, in another century--inhabiting the body of another woman. In this, her "new" life, she is married to English baron Charles Mortimer--dark, breathtakingly handsome--and bent not only on seducing the resentful young woman he believes her to be, but educating her in practices of physical pleasure Elaine has never dared to imagine. Torn between fidelity to the passionless husband she left behind and the exquisite temptation Charles offers with every touch, Elaine will discover that the dark magic responsible for her transport to this time and place is no match for the carnal delights that make her want to stay...



MY REVIEW

5 out of 5 *Stars*

This is my first book that I’ve read by Robin Schone, and all I have to say is… Why, oh why, is there not another book in this series! I’m not ready to never read about these characters again.  I want more!

This is not JUST a historical romance but more of a paranormal historical romance because the heroine started off an overweight middle aged woman from modern day Chicago and time travelled to a body of a young woman from 1883 Dorset who had just turned twenty one and her only flaw happened to be a supposedly injured leg that never healed correctly.   

There were so many questions I had when Elaine woke up as Morrigan.  Can she go back and forth as she pleases? What happened to Elaine’s body?  Did the real Morrigan jump into it, or does it just not exist yet since Elaine went into the past?  If that’s the case, where is the actual Morrigan? Did she die?

The best part about there being so many questions is that I was completely hooked and couldn’t put the book down until I had figured out all the answers. 

There were plot twists and turns, along with added drama that fit in perfectly.  The story divulged into Morrigan’s ugly past to help explain the person she became.   

I loved the two main characters.  They complimented each other perfectly and I wanted nothing more than to see them get their happily ever after. It was interesting reading Elaine’s modern way of thinking into the past that she woke up in.  Other than constantly plagued with thoughts of infidelity to her modern day husband, she was continuously observing the right way to talk and dress while experiencing what life was like in the past, even down to her hairy legs and underarms because women didn’t normally shave back then. 

“It was so confusing sometimes, keeping the two separate. Elaine, Morrigan. Morrigan, Elaine.”

Throughout everything, she was witty and her thoughts were never dull.  Even in a critical crisis when nothing but dread should be filling her, she thought,

“He looked like the Pillsbury Doughboy with bushy side-whiskers.  She wondered if he would giggle if she stuck her finger into his stomach.”

Charles is the epitome of that rugged hero we all love to read about.  He is strong and domineering and has the typical male thoughts that what ails his wife can be solved with a good bout of sex and multiple orgasms.  Even if that wasn‘t the exact case, it did make for some amazing romantic scenes.  I’ve read so many romance novels that these scenes become repetitive and nothing special.  However shockingly, I felt myself start to blush on more than one occasion while reading this book.

I will admit that the ending was a little out in left field, but I was so engrossed in the story that it was one of those things you just roll with.

From the very beginning, I was hooked.  The first two pages were written in a way that made no doubt that these two were soul mates from different times that were made for each other.  It made me believe that it was no accident it was Elaine that entered Morrigan’s body but the hands of fate deftly at work. 

Overall, I loved this book.  There were parts at the beginning that were harder to get through because of the change of time and language, but after a while your brain catches up and the book flows easily along.  This was Schone’s first book written and my first book to read of hers.  I can say that it definitely won’t be my last.  Robin Schone has just gained herself another fan.

Until next time…



Happy Reading, Everyone!

To get more information and see other reviews for this book, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment