Monday, June 15, 2015

“A book you can finish in a day” (cont.) 2015 Challenge; BRAVING THE ELEMENTS by K.F. Breene

PART 2
Like I said before, since I finished the previous novella in a day, I went on to read the second novella in the series as well.  **Just to be fair.**  Yes, I finished them both in a 24 hour time span.  Of course, I got nothing done around the house, burned dinner, and even had my whole body covered with the comforter at 2:30am so my husband didn’t wake up to the glow of my iPhone and see that I was still awake due to the fact that COULDN’T TEAR MY EYES AWAY FROM THE SCREEN.


BRAVING THE ELEMENTS by K.F. Breene
Novella 2 in the Darkness Series
 

BOOK DESCRIPTION

Sasha has always known she was different, but now she also knows that the shadow men she’s seen all her life, are real.
With a life goal of fitting in, Sasha hopes her strange abilities will finally make true friendship a possibility. Unfortunately, her magic doesn’t function like everyone else’s. What she thought would make her belong, sets her apart now more than ever.

Stefan, all but promised to a different woman, has tried to keep his mind on his duties instead of the irresistible and free-spirited human. But when she is threatened, he can’t keep his distance anymore. He realizes he’ll stop at nothing to keep her safe, and more importantly, make her his.

Just when one thing clicks into place, another spirals out of control. Stefan’s clan isn’t the only group that would benefit from an extremely rare type of magic. And their enemies will stop at nothing to get what they want.

Braving the Elements is the second novella in K.F.Breene’s long awaited Darkness series. Sasha’s story is one of discovery, awareness, and understanding, and is jam packed with action, humor, sexual tension, and an overwhelming desire for final acceptance.


MY REVIEW
5 out of 5 *Stars*
Surprise! Surprise!

“Today was a good day to spill blood.”

This novella was just as entertaining and fun as the first.  The story is compelling with good chemistry between Sasha and Stefan.  It’s almost as if the pull between the two could be felt through the words.  Sasha is witty with some unique ways to describe her talents, such as her intuition… “My lower cheeks tingled.”  Then we have Stefan.  Ohhh… Stefan.  I’d say he’s pretty dream-worthy.  Gruff, abrupt, and commanding, but soft and welcoming around Sasha.
“Women often said he had a face like an angel, if that angel hadn’t shaved in a day and road a Harley.”
(Like I said… “dream-worthy”)
I loved to read along and see how the two complimented each other.   
At the same time that I was enjoying the connection between the two main characters, I was also laughing at the funnier than ever banter between Sasha and Charles once again. 
“Thank the gods you’re not a vindictive bitch.”
 
“That you know of.”
 
“Oh no, I’ve catalogued your bitch side. You’re an explosive, wild, unpredictable bitch, but if I avoid all the triggers, I’m good.”
~~~

“I hope you don’t plan to be grouchy.  I’ve had a bad couple of days, and I’m not in the mood for your sass.”
 
“My days haven’t been any better.”
“Yes, but I am the man, and men suffer more thoroughly than women. Everyone knows this.”
I don’t think I’ve enjoyed another character in a book as much as I’ve enjoyed reading Charles.  I could never guess what he was going to do or say next. 
“the Boss came barreling through in a battle rage.  Thought he’d kill me.  Then thought he’d kill whoever was with you.  Then thought he might kill you accidentally because you tried to save someone, all the while I hid in the bush like a bitch.” LOL
I don’t remember the last time that my favorite character was NOT the hero or heroine.  If only he were the “bad-boy” because apparently those are the only ones that take center stage of may daydreams.  Apparently, Jonas has that role for this series.
If it were just about story, or characters, or content, I would say to rush out there and get the book as quick as you can.  However, it’s not just about those.  Now it’s time to talk about price of the book compared to it’s size.  I know. I know.  I gripe all the time about spending more than $0.99 for a novella and saying that there is no way in hell that I’ll ever do it.  Now, here I am spending $2.99 on one.  You know it’s gotta be damn good if I’m doing it, but who am I kidding?  $2.99 is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a novella, a continuing series novella at that!  I can’t in good conscience recommend this series for that reason.
What I can do is give you all the facts, and let you decide on your own.  Is it a good story?  Hell yes!  Is it a story worth reading?  Hell yes! Do I love this series so far?  Isn’t that obvious… Is it worth $2.99 per book, equaling a total of $20.93 for the entire series of 8 NOVELLAS?  I just don’t know.  It sounds extreme, but when taking in the size and putting the math together, it would equal close to $6.50 for one full length novel.  I’ve done worse than that on my favorite MC series.  Who knows maybe I’m just grasping at straws and finding something to justify spending another $2.99, because let’s be honest… I’m going to do it.  I’m hooked.  This series is like crack, or in my case chocolate, and I can’t get enough.  Till next time…
Hold the phone!! A wise woman last night informed me of something I wish I would have known a week ago.  There’s a box set! Books 1-4 for only $5.99.  That’s one hell of a savings!  I’ll even go one step further, because I love you all…  The Amazon link to the box set is below.

 
 

 

Still 24 books down, 28 more to go!
Happy Reading, Everyone!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment