Friday, March 20, 2015

THE MAZE RUNNER by James Dashner; 2 for 1!! Book AND Movie Review!

What a treat you guys are getting.  It’s a two review special!  Here’s my take on the book AND the movie. 

DOUBLE THE PLEASURE… DOUBLE THE FUN…

 
No, this was not a book that I read for my 2015 challenge.  I read The Maze Runner last year, but I’ve been thinking more about the book and movie since I just started reading Book 2 in the series, The Scorch Trials.  You know me… I have an opinion and therefore I need to share it.  Stay tuned for my review on TST.  It’s already panning out to be an interesting book.

 
THE MAZE RUNNER by James Dashner
Book 1 in The Maze Runner Series




BOOK DESCRIPTION

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Remember. Survive. Run.


MY REVIEW
3.5 out of 5 *Stars*


You know, I love a descriptive book just as much as the rest.  There’s nothing like being taken into a whole new world, whether it be futuristic, a different plane, or even the center of the earth where no one has ever or will ever see.  It’s amazing to see, yes “see”, what new and different things an author can come up with.  There’s only one downfall to these types of books.  Since the reader is being introduced into something they’ve never personally seen, a lot of time is spent describing aspects of the story, that sometimes the plot can get put on the backburner.  That was the case with this book.
The concept was amazing; nothing more than children creating and thriving, in a world that was thrust upon them.  To top it off, all of their memories were wiped clean.  You could practically feel the strength and determination that lived in those boys. Then they threw the girl into the mix.  I’m still trying to understand her significance, because I’m pretty sure they could have eliminated her character all together, and she wouldn’t have been missed.  Anyways, the boys had a system and a civilization. 
Then there was the maze that had different sections and was covered with vines, and had moving walls.  In the maze were the Grievers.  They were these part mechanical, part slime “things” (yes, it’s a very technical word, I know.), that had a needle like exterior that could inject a poison into someone to kill them.  These “monsters” (Better?) would take off with the Gladers if they were caught inside the maze. 
There were SO many things going on that it took most of the book to explain everything.  Of course it was done in a way where it still tied into the story, so it wasn’t so bad.  Maybe just a little long winded at times.  Then on top of trying to figure out what was going on, you also had to get used to the unique wording or slang that the Gladers used.  For example…

Gladers = the boys that live in the glade, which is the center part of the maze.
Grievers = the biomechanical “creature” (?) that comes from the maze.
Shank = friend
Slinthead  = popular name used to insult someone
Klunk = poop

I’m sure there’s more, but those are the ones I remembered most.

I thought it was a good book, maybe a little slow at times, but something that I believe would be enjoyable for someone to read.  The thing that I like most about this story is that it ALWAYS keeps you guessing, and even then, your guess is more than likely wrong.  I won’t spoil the ending, but it was something that I never saw coming.  Get it, read it, and tell me if you agree. 
 
     THE MOVIE
In Comparison to the Book
 


I just have to go ahead and say it.  I really liked this movie.  Yes, it left out A LOT from the book and did things that contradicted the story, but what movie that came from a book hasn’t?  To the dismay of my husband and sons, I kept saying, “In the book…”  Then I would continue to state the difference.  Once I got over the contradictions, and was told politely to “shut up”, I started to really get into it. 

 
What the movie had going for it that the book did not was the issue that I stated before.  The book took so long to describe jobs or specific details, but with the movie, everything could be seen firsthand, so all it had to do was concentrate on the plot, which was interesting in itself.  Plus, the way they made the maze in the movie was fantastic.  It was nothing like I pictured, but still just as intriguing.  The way that they showed the maze shifting was an added bonus.  I knew what was going to happen, but I was still at the edge of my seat.    
 

I only had one issue and that was the ending.  If you read the book, the ending will make perfect sense and you can go on to wait for the sequel, The Scorch Trials, coming 9/18/15.  If you haven’t read the book, you might end the movie with one word on your mind… “What??”  It’s not that easy to comprehend.  Now begs the question…  Is the movie still a good movie if you need the book to understand everything?  I can say that I enjoyed the movie and understood every different aspect it threw out there, but I’ve read the book.  Therefore, I’m not a good person to answer that question.  I can say that my kids liked it, and they’ve never read the book.  It’s just a matter of opinion. Like everything else on this planet.    
So, those were my thoughts.  Overall… Read the book?  Absolutely.  Watch the movie?  Of course!
 
Do you agree?  Disagree?  Comment below, and let me know!
 
Happy Reading, Everyone!      
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment