Sunday, March 1, 2015

“A Book That Became a Movie” 2015 Challenge; INSURGENT by Veronica Roth

How convenient that I had this book before the challenge started, I had just put off reading it.  I get the challenge and when I saw this topic, it was like the sound of a cash register going off.  “Cha-Ching!” I knew from the get-go that this book would be for that, but it took it being due back at the library for me to finally read it… like the last book I read… and now the one after this.  There’s nothing like the impending threat of $0.05 a day fines to get your butt in gear to read a book.

 
INSURGENT by Veronica Roth
Book 2 in the Divergent Trilogy

 

BOOK DESCRIPTION
 
One choice can transform you – or it can destroy you.  But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves – and herself – while grapping with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris’s initiation day should have been marked with celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors.  War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows.  And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable – and even more powerful.  Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing it. 

A CHOICE
BECOMES A SACRIFICE
A SACRIFICE
BECOMES A LOSS
A LOSS
BECOMES A BURDEN
A BURDEN
BECOMES A BATTLE
ONE CHOICE
CAN DESTROY YOU
 
 
 
 
MY REVIEW
5 OUT OF 5 *Stars*
 
Wow.  I did NOT see this one coming.  I had enjoyed the story line in the first book, Divergent, but it went really slow and I had a hard time staying focused.  That was not the case with this one, what so ever!  It’s a 525 page book and I finished it in 2 and a half days.  Taking into consideration that I am a mother of four and have a family and house to take care of as well, that is no small achievement. 

It started off exactly where Book 1 left off, with them on the train, and moved quickly on from there.  This was a fast paced, and action packed book. The reader, I, couldn’t decide what to focus on the most, whether it be the conflict around them, the strained love between Tris and Tobias, her relationship with family and friends, or trying to figure out the whole purpose of the war they found themselves in.
 
I love how this book wasn’t centered on only one or two factions, but all 5 of them instead.  When so much time was spent with each one, the reader finally got to see how the other half, or 1/5, lived, instead of just hearing about it.  We even get to learn a great deal more on the factionless, which was a whole new world in itself.  I found myself trying to categorize myself, but had a hard time doing so.  I guess I’m just too unique to stick into one specific bubble.  ;)
 
After finishing this book, I wasted no time putting Book 3 on order.  I have no idea where it will fit into the reading challenge, or if it even will, but I know it’s something I’m going to have to read.  On another note, I saw the first movie and thought it was good, if not a little slow… a lot like the book actually.  Now, after reading Book 2, I am almost bouncing in my seat to go see the second movie.  When I finally get to, there is no way I’m going to be able to keep my opinion to myself.  Expect to see a post on what I think about it, in regards to the book.  Stay tuned…

 
 
12 books down, 40 to go!!
 
Happy Reading, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment