Saturday, February 7, 2015

“A Graphic Novel” 2015 Challenge; THE REMNANT by Stephen Baldwin & Andrew Cosby

I have to admit that this was my very first graphic novel.  When choosing what I wanted to read, it was hard.  I didn’t want to read a super hero book, or one with animated looking characters.  I didn’t want it to be too long in case I couldn’t stand reading with pictures, but yet I didn’t want it too small because I didn’t feel as if I would get the experience that way.  After everything is said and done, I have to say that it was definitely a different experience. I had to stop frequently and take a moment to examine the photos to get a better understanding of the story.  Graphic novels… their stories aren’t based on the words alone, as I soon found out.  I have to admit that even though this book didn’t turn me against graphic novels, I don’t see myself rushing to the library to get more.    

My lesson learned…
Every book is a story, no matter what type it is.

 
THE REMNANT by Stephen Baldwin & Andrew Cosby
                                              Illustrated by Julian Totino Tedesco
 
 
BOOK DESCRIPTION
When natural disasters erupt around the world and people start to vanish, C.I.A. agent David Sacker is pulled into a dangerous mystery that will challenge everything he knows about reality.

Actor Stephen Baldwin and writer Andrew Cosby unleash THE REMNANT. When natural disasters erupt the world and people start to vanish, former C.I.A. agent David Sacker is pulled back onto the job into a dangerous mystery that will challenge everything he knows about himself, the world and his wife. As the death toll begins to number in thousands, it is up to David Sacker to put together all the pieces of the puzzle before it's too late. A supernatural thriller in the vein of 24, THE REMNANT explores the fundamental questions of human life and our perception of reality.
 
 
MY REVIEW
3.5 out of 5 *Stars*
 
I’m not exactly sure where to start with this review, so if it feels as though it jumps around, my apologies.  I’m not a reader of graphic novels / comic books.  Sure, I read the funnies in the paper every so often, but that is about the extent of it for me.  I had to read a graphic novel for my reading challenge, and this was the third one I tried to read.  The first two were epic fails, but this one stuck.  Let me tell you… This was way different from my normal reading. 

At first it was hard to get around the unfamiliar dynamics to give an accurate review, so I asked myself, “Did I enjoy the story?” because that’s what it all boils down to.  My answer… Kind of.  The illustration was very compelling.  It could have probably told the story itself without any words.  Great job, Tedesco! When it came to the writing, there were some aspects that took me by surprise, and it was very easy to follow.  What did not work for me was that I found myself having more questions about the story than anything. Incomplete is the word that comes to mind.  It felt somewhat jumbled and I wasn’t sure what pertained to the story or not.  I’m thinking that this is probably one piece of a larger puzzle, and everything would be answered in future books, but I’m sorry to say that I more than likely won’t be finding out. 
 
5 books down, 47 more to go!
Happy Reading, Everyone! 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment