Wednesday, February 18, 2015

“A Book by a Female Author” 2015 Challenge; DEMONGLASS by Rachel Hawkins


So, I found the first book when I was searching for “A book set in High School”. After I read it, I NEEDED to read the next one.  I had already read the “Trilogy” part of the challenge, so I had an idea... Plug the next two books in where I could.  That was surprisingly easy.  Therefore, that is why this book is my “A Book by a Female Author”. So, here’s how I thought it held up to the first one…

 

DEMONGLASS by Rachel Hawkins
Book 2 of the Hex Hall Trilogy
 




BOOK DESCRIPTION

 
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (a.k.a. witches, shape-shifters, and faeries). But then she discovered the family secret, and the fact that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie's a demon, one of only two in the world-the other being her father. What's worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will either destroy her powers for good-or kill her.

But once Sophie arrives, she makes a shocking discovery. Her new housemates? They're demons too. Meaning, someone is raising demons in secret, with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they're using Archer to do it. But it's not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?

 

 
 MY REVIEW
3.5 OUT OF 5 *Stars*

 
Compared to the first book in the trilogy, I believe this fell a little flat.  Yes, the story was still intriguing and the dialog was still witty, but this definitely felt like a filler book.  You know what that is.  It’s a book that doesn’t have true purpose, but is needed to fill in some blanks before the big finale. 
I liked the direction it took the story in.  I couldn’t help but feel for the demons.  I bet that’s not something you ever thought you’d say.  I was rooting on the love for not one, but TWO males, to the same girl no less.  Then there was the relationship between father and daughter that I wanted to see thrive.  Other than that, this book didn’t bring up too many strong emotions. 
Even though this was not one of the better books I’ve read, it still did its purpose.  It is the second book in a trilogy.  It’s not the catchy first book or the suspenseful third book, but it’s what you need to get from Point A to Point B.  Hawkins, sure enough, draws in the reader’s attention at the very end, and made it nearly impossible NOT to go out and get the third book.  Lucky for me, I already had it on my shelf waiting for me.  Stay tuned for what I thought about THAT book…
 

9 books down, 43 to go!
Happy Reading, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment