Friday, September 11, 2015

“A Book with a Color in the Title” 2015 Challenge; SILVER BASTARD by Joanna Wylde


There are a few authors I love out there that write MC romances.  Joanna Wylde is one of them.  I love her storylines, her characters, and the MC world she brings her readers into.  I thought it had to be fate when she named a book “Silver Bastard” and I still needed to read a book with a color in the title.  Who am I to mess with fate?


SILVER BASTARD by Joanna Wylde
Book 1 in the Silver Valley Series



BOOK DESCRIPTION

Fourteen months. For fourteen months, Puck Redhouse sat in a cell and kept his mouth shut, protecting the Silver Bastards MC from their enemies. Then he was free and it was time for his reward—full membership in the club, along with a party to celebrate. That’s when he saw Becca Jones for the first time and set everything in motion. Before the night ended he’d violated his parole and stolen her away from everything she knew.

Five years. It was five years ago that Puck destroyed Becca and saved her all in one night. She’s been terrified of him ever since, but she’s even more terrified of the monsters he still protects her from... But Becca refuses to let fear control her. She’s living her life and moving forward, until she gets a phone call from the past she can't ignore. She has to go back, and there’s only one man she can trust to go with her—the ex-con biker who rescued her once before.

Puck will help her again, but this time it’ll be on his terms. No more lies, no more tears, and no more holding back what he really wants...



MY REVIEW
3 out of 5 *Stars*

 
Yum! Yum! Give me some! I am head over handlebars for MC adult romance books. You can read books that impact your life till you’re blue in the face, but I don’t care what you say, every once in a while you need to read a book where everything shuts off but the story.   Adult romance is my fall back genre for this.  Make it involving a MC, and I’m game.  This seems to baffle my brother, who is the president of a motorcycle club.  He says, “It’s not all about that though.”  I know this Big Brother, but every good romance needs an alpha male, and rugged men that drive motorcycles just fit the bill. 
 
This book did not disappoint on that score.  Puck was definitely alpha male material.  He was rugged, sexy, and had a devil may care attitude.  Becca had it right “the guy was mysterious.  Kind of like Batman.  On a motorcycle.” He was also fiercely protective.  This was obviously apparent after his first interaction with Becca and her rescue soon after. 
“Puck was dangerous in a decadent, indecent, cheesecake-at-midnight kind of way.”
 
Then there was Becca.  The only thing I liked about her was her name.  Everything else was completely misplaced and annoying.  Yes, you had a shitty start in life and you got dealt crappy parents.  Anybody was liable to be damaged after something like that.  However, her lack of trust in other people, her inability to let things go, plus her inability to accept any type of help became more irritating than compelling and it led to her downfall in the end.  This was frustrating to read. 
 
Now, I have to hand it to Ms. Wylde… She does create some very hot and intense “love” scenes.  There are some in her books that will go down in history and are seared into my brain.  I don’t know what happened with this book.  They were still there, but at the same time, that’s almost all there was.  Sure, there was a plot, but it was overshadowed by how much these to people thought about sex.  Yes, I get it, it’s an ADULT romance.  However, sometimes there can be too much.  Puck talks about his boner over the course of a motorcycle ride, even after he’s gone numb, or then there was the time he was trying to talk himself into something.
 
“throw Becca down across that table and fuck her ‘til she screams.  When Blake and Collins come rushing to the rescue, you can shoot them and carry her off into the mountains. Do it.”
 
Then there was Becca and her “va-jay-jay show.”  Oh, heck yeah it was HOT at times, but after so much talk it was almost tiring.  I started seeing them as sex machines, and their stories were an afterthought. 
 
However, I do have to admit that this book made my list of books with the most humorous dialog. Becca referring to him as Batman was comical.  There was Puck and the things that ran through his mind...
 
“I’d actually sat alone in the darkness lusting after a girl like some fucking Robert Pattison wannabe.  At least I smoked instead of sparkled.”
 
Then there was the elderly couple who Becca stayed with after puck rescued her, Regina and Earl.  Of course it’s Earl.  When you picture an elderly man that lives in the middle of nowhere, he is almost always named Earl.  Anyway, they were a hoot.
 
“Now just because you dropped a bomb on us doesn’t mean you can stop scooping the pie.  Maybe you’re not ready yet.”
“To date Puck?
 
“No, to be in charge of the pie.”
 
 
I love all of Joanna Wylde’s books.  I will recommend them every time someone asks, and I am still looking forward to new books that are being released.  To me though, this book is not one to rush out and buy.  I’m not saying that it shouldn’t be read.  It’s the start of another series of hers and you can’t read the others without reading the first.  It’s just not one of my favorites.  Of course, there was also the cliff hanger at the end of this book that introduces new characters that aren’t even in the MC world.  Needless to say, my curiosity was peaked.  I just hope her next books have a stronger storyline.  We will see.  Till next time…


 
 
28 books down, 24 more to go!
Happy Reading, Everyone!!


No comments:

Post a Comment