Friday, August 28, 2015

"A Book Based on a True Story" 2015 Challenge; WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE by Trish Doller


I’m giving you full disclosure here.  I went online and found a list of books that were “based on a true story.” I looked through them all, and found one that sounded good.  It was about a girl ripped from her family only to grow up not knowing who she truly was.  Intriguing, right?  Believe me, it was.  However, when I went to find the story that it was based from, there was nothing.  That’s when I found out that the book I had already read all the way through was NOT based off a true story, but in fact was about a topic that was so lifelike that it COULD happen.  Here’s the question… Do I count this book? I am… for now.  If by some grace of God I get done with the reading challenge early, I’ll squeeze another book in there.  Until then, here is my review of “A book based on a true story, but not quite a true story.”

 
WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE by Trish Doller
 

 
BOOK DESCRIPTION

Stolen as a child from her large and loving family, and on the run with her mom for more than ten years, Callie has only the barest idea of what normal life might be like. She's never had a home, never gone to school, and has gotten most of her meals from Laundromat vending machines. Her dreams are haunted by memories she’d like to forget completely. But when Callie’s mom is finally arrested for kidnapping her, and Callie’s real dad whisks her back to what would have been her life, in a small town in Florida, Callie must find a way to leave the past behind. She must learn to be part of a family. And she must believe that love--even with someone who seems an improbable choice--is more than just a possibility.
 

MY REVIEW
4.5 out of 5 *Stars*

 
“Sponges are better than flowers.”

What a heartfelt sentiment that our hunky Greek, Alex, had.  You know, since sea sponged are already dead so you don’t have to worry about them dying.  Unusual, but if you think about it, it does make a little sense.  That was just Alex – the suave young man that could charm the panties off of almost any person, man or woman. 

As much as anyone liked to read about the heartthrob, he wasn’t the main focus of the story.  Callie, a teenage girl, was taken from her father and big Greek family at a young age.  When she was finally back, everything was new to her.  She had forgotten everything.  It was heartbreaking when a person would reveal something that should have been common knowledge for her. Such as the moment she found out what her full name was.  Then there was when she met close family members that were nothing more than strangers, even her own grandmother. 

“Georgia stands back to look at me – her hands clutching my shoulders – and I see my face in her wrinkles, my eyes behind her red-rimmed glasses.  It’s strange to go your whole life thinking your DNA is all your own, and then see yourself in someone else.”

This was a very compelling story.  It was heartfelt and warm.  A definite tear-jerker.  You wanted her mom to pay, you wanted her dad to feel loved, and you just wanted everything to fall into place perfectly without any hiccups.  Yes, I know it was wishful thinking, but it didn’t hurt to hope.  I wasn’t a huge fan of how it ended, but it didn’t change the fact that I had a genuinely good time reading this book.   

This story felt so real.  Whether it be cute little Tucker snapping green beans and “pretending they are puny humans and he is the Incredible Hulk,” the silly drama of teenagers, and even the frustration of getting a lame fortune in a cookie.   
“You have the power to write your own fortune.”

Now if that cookie wasn’t just slacking off…

I am glad that I chose this book for “A book based on a true story,” even if there was no exact “true story.”  It wasn’t something I probably would have read without this challenge. Yes of course, I recommend this book.  Don’t forget to thank me once you’ve read it. ;)  Till next time…
 

26 books down, 26 more to go!

Happy Reading, Everyone!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment