Monday, May 25, 2015

INSURGENT the Movie



 





                                   VS.



             INSURGENT
                                                                    (the movie)


Holy cow!  I have been so busy lately!  It’s been crazy, but I’m finally seeing the light at the end of the long and tedious tunnel.  For the last two weeks my husband had been out of town, and it was just my kids and me.  No breaks, no “go ask Daddy”, no nothing.  Don’t get me wrong, I love my kids, but they can be enough to make a grown man succumb to weeping in a corner at times.     

To my much needed relief, my parents took the kids one day last week, and what did I do???  I went to go see a movie.  Yep, for the first time ever, I went to the movie theater by myself and found that I absolutely LOVED it!  It’s great going to a theater and watching the wonder in a child’s eyes or joking with the husband, but who would have thought that being alone would have been just as great.  It was so relaxing, and just what I needed. 

In this case, I got to go see the movie INSURGENT, and got to focus solely on the movie.


Its great watching movies that were first books.  Actually, the more I think about it, it’s kind of a love/hate feeling.  I love watching what I pictured in my head come alive in front of me, but I hate it when things get altered too much that you have no idea what you’re watching **Cough Cough** The Mortal Instruments **Cough Cough**.

Insurgent was a little bit of both.  Let me start off by saying, I loved the book.  It got a 5 star review from me, and I was completely ecstatic to see the movie. 
 
My review...

I left the movie and said, “What the hell just happened?”

It wasn’t a bad movie.  It was actually really good at parts, but this review isn’t about the movie itself.  It’s a review that compares it to the book. 

I get it when directors leave parts out because it would make a movie too long, but it really bugs the crap out of me when they change it all together.  If you’re going to make a movie from a book, don’t say, “Well, I know this is what actually happened, but wouldn’t it be cool if it were like this instead.”        

*SPOILER*SPOILER* I tried to write this review spoiler free, but there's just no way.  Don't keep reading if you haven't watched the movie OR read the book! *SPOILER*SPOILER*

Here we go….
 
  • Where is Tris’ other tattoo?  If you’re going to put specific tattoos on her, make sure you get them all.  (Its only a small thing, but bugged the hell out of me.)
  • After they escaped Dauntless at the end of Book 1, Tris was too nervous to hold a gun, let alone shoot it.  That was a huge thing with her emotional state even into the third book.  However, the movie must not have thought that that was very compelling scenario, so they did away with it all together.


  • What the hell is this box???? That was something totally off the wall and new.  Jeanine needed Tris to develop a sim to control the Divergent, NOT to open a damn box!!

  • Lastly… How it ended…  The book pulled you in, and made you want to read the last book.  The message stated that the outside world needed their help, and everyone was confused and at odds over it.  What was going to happen?  How was it going to end?  No one knew, and everyone was compelled to find out.   The movie ended giving off a fairly complete vibe.  It’s as if they’re not planning on making the third movie.  (Trust me when I say that the world would not be disappointed if they stopped now.) **My opinion and hatred of Book 3 seems to be showing.**  The message talked about how great being divergent was, all the factions were joyous and happy, Tris and Tobias weren’t at odds, and there was no strife between the factions and factionless.  Any other movie that they were to make later would be more of a “Where Are They Now” type of thing. 

There were too many significant things altered to the storyline for my taste. 

When it came to the actually movie.  I thought the casting was good.  They all did a good job, and I think they nailed their characters spot on.  Even though it went off on its own and away from the actually storyline, I thought that the movie was compelling.  If I hadn’t read the book, I might have actually liked it more.  One or two changes is fine but the numerous amount was too big of a distraction for me. 

If you’ve made it this far down the review, I’m guessing you’ve watched the movie and read the book.  If you haven’t… Well, you basically know what happens in both now, don’t you?  Never ignore a reviewer when they warn about spoilers!  Chances are pretty high that they’re going to “spoil” something for you. 

Anyways, comment below and let me know what you think.  Do you agree, or am I speaking totally off the wall from your opinion? 

Always and forever…

Happy Reading, Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment